Application of FinCEN’s Regulations to Virtual Currency Software Development and Certain Investment Activity Summary
This tool summarizes FinCEN’s ruling regarding a company that mines Bitcoin. The following are the key takeaways of the ruling:
1. The mechanism by which the convertible virtual currency (CVC) is acquired is immaterial to the analysis of whether a company is an money services business (MSB).
2. As part of the analysis of whether a person is a MSB, you must identify the role the person is playing: (1) exchanger, (2) administrator; or (3) user.
3. A user that mines virtual currency and uses it for its own purposes and not for the benefit of others is not an MSB under FinCEN’s regulations.
4. A user’s conversion of virtual currency into legal tender or another CVC does not make the user an MSB.
5. Any transfers by the user to third parties at the behest of sellers, creditors, owners, or counterparties will be heavily scrutinized.
Members Can Download This Tool
Login to Download
Not Yet a Member?
Our members enjoy:
On-demand regulatory guidance hotline – by chat, phone and email – available from anywhere, on any device – 7 am - 6 pm, M-F, Central time
Research time saved daily & weekly across forms, checklists, and trainings — for every regulation
Hours of form-building and branding of bank documents saved; in some cases, even the budget of additional staff
A sounding board for support and reassessment when institutional goals or the regulatory environment changes
Access to attorneys and compliance specialists for risk modelling and decision-making in advance of large business decisions
The knowledge that C/A was created and owned by 30 State Bankers Association to provide bank compliance services to their membership organizations
Find out how a personalized team of attorneys and compliance professionals helps build targeted compliance strategies throughout your institution when you take our Live Membership Demo.