Large Bank Supervision: Updated Comptroller’s Handbook Booklet and Rescission
March 8, 2022 / Source: OCC
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) issued today an updated “Large Bank Supervision” booklet of the Comptroller’s Handbook. The “Large Bank Supervision” booklet is prepared for use by OCC examiners in connection with their examination and supervision of midsize and large national banks and federal savings associations as well as foreign-owned U.S. branches and agencies (collectively, banks). This booklet is also used to supervise international operations of midsize and large banks.
The updated booklet includes a revised core assessment, which will be effective for core assessment summaries using financial information as of March 31, 2022.
Updates are summarized in the “Table of Updates Since Publication” in the back of the booklet. Refer to the “Foreword” booklet of the Comptroller’s Handbook for more information regarding the OCC’s processes for revising and updating booklets.
The updated booklet rescinds version 1.1 of the “Large Bank Supervision” booklet issued in September 2019.
Note for Community Banks
The “Large Bank Supervision” booklet does not apply to the OCC’s supervision of community banks.
The updated booklet
- includes clarifying updates to clearly set expectations related to preparing and documenting the core assessment summary.
- combines information about the core assessment and risk assessment system into the “Core Assessment” section.
- updates the core assessment factors and sub-factors
- for consistency across risk areas.
- to align with other OCC sources that were issued or updated since the “Large Bank Supervision” booklet was last updated.
- to focus on the sub-factors most likely to drive the conclusion for each factor.
- to include cross-references to relevant OCC issuances.
- clarifies differences between the annual core assessment summary and quarterly supervision updates.
- adds “focused review” as a supervisory activity type, consistent with the OCC’s current practices.
- includes updates for consistency with other OCC issuances and edits for clarity.
Please contact your examiner-in-charge.
Grovetta N. Gardineer
Senior Deputy Comptroller for Bank Supervision Policy